Right. That’s why you leave the lights on at Geisel Library (and the rest of the unoccupied buildings campus) 24/7. “Because its cheaper than turning them off.”
Good luck with that one UCSD.
On that note, I’m back home. Fuckin’ missed it. Now tryin’ to plan a trip to da bay and kick it with my friends
The Cult of Veganism; or, Sit Down & Shut Up, Little Brown Girl
My friend Lenah has been going through a similar situation. There are no winners in the Oppression Olympics. All struggles are interconnected. Get over yourself.
Force of Nature – Same Ol' Thing
Hey folks. I’m back here in SD, where things have cooled down considerably. The Harris & Witch fires are 90% and 97% contained respectively, and the air doesn’t taste or look ashy anymore. Our home was unaffected, save for some ash on the windowsill, truly a blessing considering that the cities and towns all around us have been scorched in some way.
School has also restartedâ€”and its kicking my ass. Losing 5 days doesn’t seem like much, but when you’re on the dreaded quarter system, you’re losing 10% of your classes. Nothing CRAZY, but combined with
hard-ass professors eager teachers, this spells trouble for the average student. You know, the ones who weren’t using the week off as an extended study hall (hey, I was evacuated. I have an excuse. Kinda.)
Anyway, to my fellow peoples living in San Diego (I am not a “San Diegan”) I hope you and yours are all good. Thanks to Mr. Fisher for offering your place to me, and to Tyrone, who kept lookin’ out for me (I’ll pay ya a visit tomorrow). In parting, here’s a tune that I’m sure many here resonate with.
Bob Marley – No More Trouble
Catch A Fire indeed.
UPDATED: 10/27/07 12:53p
SD County Fires
Here’s some info I’ve collected about the fires ravishing through SD.
Sorry about the formating, I’m evacuating right now and can’t fix it. I’m evacuated (in “the Lakehouse” near Riverside), and links are fixed. Changed to a faster-loading layout too.
UPDATE (10/27/07 – 12:53p) The fires look a lot better in SD and are mostly contained. I’m in LA right now, cramming and studying for the onslaught of work UCSD is gonna drop on students next week. I’ll be heading back to SD tomorrow morning. I hope everyone is safe and sound, and that the fires didn’t mess you up too bad. I added a link to the SD Fire Wiki, which is a great resource created by the community.
UPDATE (10/25/07 – 4:20p) One of my roommates has made it back to the house and everything seems fine. I will be going to LA to visit Amanda, and then I will head back down to SD afterwards. I also took down the google map because of its considerable load time.
UPDATE (10/24/07 – 9:10p) Our area (PQ) has just been cleared of evacuation status. I can return home as of right now, but I will stay the night here in Riverside. Since SD is still unstable, I will probably go to Amanda’s house in Los Angeles tomorrow, and then return to SD sometime this weekend after things have settled down a bit.
Newest Evacuation Map (PDF file) – Check to see if you can go back home.
My Top Links for San Diego Fire Info
- SignOn SD Wildfires 2007 Blog – Best Blog resource: Updated every few minutes, with the info you need to know. (RSS)
- SD Fire & Evacuation Maps – quickest mapping of the burned & evac areas
- SignOnSanDiego Fire Map – Best overall Map, complete with pictures, video, and containment info.
- SD Fire Wiki – Probably the best overall compendium of info. Go here first. Collaboratively edited by SDiegans”>SD Fire Wiki – Probably the best compendium of info. Collaboratively edited by the people.
- SD County Emergency Homepage – #1 Source of (official) info for SD
- Fires & Evacuation Center Map – the map I used to display above.
- TritonLink – most up-to-date UCSD resource. See below anchor (note: UCSD is closed for the rest of the week).
- California Freeway Conditions – See which freeways are closed (free-way specific search)
Very Important Resources
Some of the most important links from the list below
- Disaster Safe – Let your loved ones know you’re safe!!!
- Reverse 911 Sign-up – Sign up to receive reverse 911 calls on your phone!!!
- Evacuation Checklist – How to prepare & what to pack
- InCampus Alert – (UCSD Students) Register your fone for text alert Emergency Notifications
- Evacuation Shelter Status (PDF file)
- SD Emergency Fire Info: Useful Linklist – Links to many of the ones here, as well as health info & radio/tv stations covering the fires.
- News 8 – Frequently Updated, but news coverage is pretty uncaring and sensational. Nonetheless, best corporate news media site overall.
My List of San Diego (Harris & Witch) Fire links
This is my linkroll for any info on the fires throughout SoCal.
General Fire Info
San Diego Specific
North County Specific
Poway Evacuation/Emergency Information
My Google Map showing key areas in North County The fires are out of control. There are better sources below.
Be safe, and evacuate early friends.
wow… I was just thinking about how different people think and see the world differently. I’ve been thinking that I’ve been liking a lot of chants, and tribal beats recently (my newest is OOIOO’s – Uma), and how some cultures do not think linearly per se, but in cyclically, or in cycles (IE “History repeats itself”)
and what do we talk about today in class? Western culture and thought processes.